In general I don’t see too many PNG recipes around. Basically people just boil or fry whatever comes out of their garden and for a treat they add rice, 2-minute noodles, tinned meat, and salt in a myriad of combinations. People also seem to like curry powder, ginger and onion. No recipe needed. There are other foods around but it depends on the area and what’s in season.
In America almost everything you buy from Breakfast cereal to noodles, have meal or recipe options on the back. But here it’s way less common, sometimes there aren’t even basic cooking directions. So imagine my surprise when I was holding in my hand two packages both with recipes on the back.
So here you go. Two PNG recipes, exotic and untested from the back of a 2 minute noodle pack and a kilo of rice. Enjoy!
Maggi Noodles, Kakaruk na Kumu sup (Maggi Noodles, Chicken and Greens Soup)
- 4pela paket Maggi noodles (4 packets Maggi noodles)
- 2pela kakaruk bros- rausim skin (2 skinned chicken breasts)
- 8pela kap kainkain mix kumu (8 cups mixed greens)
- 2pela galik (2 cloves garlic)
- 1pela hap kawar (1 piece of ginger)
- 1pela cap Maggi Coconut Milk (1 cup Maggi coconut milk)
- 1pela Maggi Kakaruk Cube (1 cube chicken stock)
- 2pela bikpela sipun Oil (2 Tbs. oil)
1. Kukim noodles nating wantaim 900ml hot wara long 2pela minit na rausim long wara na larim long drai. (Cook the noodles without their seasoning for 2 minutes in 900 ml water, drain and set aside.)
2. Hotim oil long frai pan o sospan, putim galik na kawar na fraim inap long 1pela minit. Putim kakaruk na kukim inap long braon. Putim kumu na kukim long 2pela minit. Kapsaitim kokonas, Maggi Kakaruk Cube na larim long boil. Putim noodles na fleiva na tan-tainim. Enjoi! (Heat the oil and sauté the garlic and ginger 1 minute. Add the chicken and cook until brown. Add the greens and cook them 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk, chicken stock cube and let it come to a boil. Add the noodles and their seasoning packets and mix well. Enjoy!)
Chicken and Mango Rice
- 2 cups trukai rice
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 500g chicken thigh or breast fillets- chopped
- 4 cups (1L) chicken stock or water
- 2 cups combined snow peas or sliced capsicum
- 1 medium fresh mango or tinned mango
- 6 green shallots- finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. sweet chili sauce
- 2 Tbs. soy sauce
- ½ cup unsalted roasted almonds
1. Heat oil in frypan over moderately high heat and cook chicken until lightly browned for 2-3 minutes.
2. Remove pan from heat and add trukai rice and stick. Return to heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 12 minutes.
3. Stir in vegetables, mango, shallots and sauces. Remove pan from heat and stand, covered, 5 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with nuts.