As a planning addict, I’ve always been convicted when reading Proverbs 16:9, “We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” Seriously, Ryan says that planning is my love language. And I must admit that a thorough, organized plan is one way to my heart. But I have to be careful that my own planning or even the desire to have a plan doesn’t overshadow God’s ultimate desires and will for my life, day or even the next hour.This verse doesn’t say, “Don’t plan because God will do what He wants with you anyway.” Instead it is a gentle reminder that although we work, plan and make choices everyday, we lack ultimate control. But take comfort because the one who is in control is the loving, personal, creator God of the Bible.
So with this in mind, hear my heart planning our way to Australia in current circumstances. We hold this with open hands but ask that you would pray with us as we continue to plan and as God establishes our steps.
- 31 more days in our current support raising and training road trip. Please pray for hearts to be opened and our support levels to grow.
- Back to California for a week vacation on Catalina island. I grew up going to this family camp and Ryan and I are looking forward to a week of rest and refreshment. Please pray that this time would reboot us for the continued work that needs to be accomplished.
- Support raising milestone: 75%. We have been told that we should be at 75% by the end of June in order to stay on track for our arrival in Australia. Since we are currently at 60%, this is a big goal to reach. Please pray for diligence in asking for support and for God to surprise us with how and where the support comes from.
- A month in Brussels, Belgium for training. This may sound like a vacation but it’s an important part of the training process and what better place to do cross-cultural training than in a country where neither of us speak the language. Please pray that this would not be too overwhelming for Ryan and that I would be patient and a good learner despite having been through this training before.
- University of Western Australia: the latest we could hear about the masters program acceptance is the beginning of July. Please pray that I would be accepted into the program and that I would be able to apply for and receive scholarships.
- Travel in Switzerland and Germany. Since we’re already in Europe for the Belgium training, we contacted friends in the area and will spend some time after the training visiting people and even attending a German wedding. This is a great opportunity for Ryan to see more of Europe and for me to show him some places where I’ve lived and traveled in the past. Please pray for safety while we travel and for many fun memories to be made with our European friends and family.
- Back to California again because I am in a friend’s wedding at the beginning of August and then we have a full month of visiting churches already planned. Please pray for stamina and for God to continue to reveal what He would have for us.
- Although we have nothing scheduled past the end of August, this will be a time to work on our visas (student visa for me, spousal visa for Ryan), continue to raise the final support needed and make last preparations for our move. Please pray for wisdom as there are many decisions that will need to be made along the way.
- Leaving for Australia after Thanksgiving. A student visa allows you to enter the country 90 days before the semester starts. Please pray for God’s timing and clear direction.
We praise God that He has been guiding us and remains faithful. I look back at our newsletter from February 2015 when we shared what 10 things needed to happen before we moved to Australia and it’s wonderful to see how, by God’s grace, we’ve been able to accomplish 6 of the steps already. Despite the changes which include this new opportunity to study and learn at UWA, we see His hands at work. And we look forward to seeing how the Lord continues to establish our steps. Thank you for uniting with us in prayer and being with us on this road to Australia.