“It’s like calling a girl I like and not knowing what she’s going to say,” Ryan said as he was psyching himself up to call another church. Thankfully Ryan has a lovely wife now (if I do say so myself:-) and has no need or desire to call girls but we both still have the responsibility to contact individuals and churches while we continue to support raise. Each and every one of these phone calls, text messages, emails and Facebook notes require extra thought and prayer. We never know what the response will be but we will keep working until we reach our goal or until God directs us elsewhere.So as we continue this process, here are 6 things we want our current supporters and potential supporters to know.
- We wish there was an easier way. From the beginning Ryan and I have been thankful to have a long list of friends, relatives and acquaintances in our lives who care about us. We want first and foremost for people to be a part of our ministry through prayer but we also know that if everyone who reads this blog, our newsletters or generally keeps up with us gave $20 a month, we would be more than fully funded. But we are thankful to everyone who does what they can, whether that is fervent prayer, a smaller donation either monthly or one-time and for those many individuals who are able to and give more than $20 a month or even larger one-time gifts.
- Ryan and I do not enjoy asking for money. Now before anyone jumps on that phrase to remind me that we are “asking people to partner with us” or “asking people to join in our ministry” or any other way of saying it, I understand and we truly view this as a partnership with our supporters. However, at the end of the day we need money in our account to do our jobs and that funding has to come from somewhere. We know people have a long list of demands on their budgets so faithfully we will continue to ask. And prayerfully we will continue to trust that the money will come.
- We know that there are benefits to this system. At this point in the process we get to travel and see people face to face. Skype is good but there is something about sitting down for a meal or just hanging out. Also when people join us with interest, prayers and/or finances, we want to keep them informed and keep in touch as personally as possible. This is one of the reasons I blog, we do Instagram, keep up on Facebook, with newsletters, etc. We see the benefit in sharing our story with those who are invested in us. And we also love hearing from you and following your journey.
- Don’t be afraid of our phone call or messages. Please believe that we do enjoy sharing our story. We would much rather people be up front about their financial situation but that won’t change our desire to share and keep in touch. Maybe God might even change your heart when you hear more about our ministry:-) We are thankful for all our relationships and would love to make a time to see you face to face if we’re in the area or catch up by phone or Skype.
- We genuinely want you to pray about supporting us (and discuss it with your spouse if that’s applicable to you). Pray. Listen to God. Seek wise counsel. And if God is telling you not to support us or to support another ministry or give more to your church or whatever it may be, listen. But if you are hearing from God to support us, pray for us or advocate for us, listen.
- No is an acceptable answer. Or even, not now. Or even, maybe when things change. Or even, we don’t know. Seriously, it’s ok.
Thank you for being a part of our ministry in whatever way you can. We look forward continuing to share our journey and enjoy having you along with us on this ride.