Even though our October trip to Perth is just a short visit, there is a lot to do in order to prepare and make the best use of our time. Ryan and I have set aside Wednesday lunch time to pray, discuss, organize, share and generally start getting ourselves ready for this trip. Scheduling it is the best way to make time for priorities like this because there are a lot of things competing for our attention. Here are just some of our Perth to-dos:
1. Shots for Ryan- Tetanus needs to be updated every 10 years. When was your last booster shot?
2. Evacuation/travel medical insurance- This is above and beyond our normal insurance but it is required so we have to submit all the right paperwork and get it approved.
3. Contacting contacts and arranging meetings- Ryan has some film/media contacts in the Perth area and I have some people that I met last time I was there. It takes time to write back and forth and arrange our schedules accordingly.
4. Planning and praying through what will occupy our time during the visit. Our hosts are helping us with this planning but we do have decisions to make and we will be making decisions throughout the trip as well. No itinerary is really set in stone.
5. Deciding to get a room or not in the Singapore airport for our long layover and then booking the room and making it happen. Before Ryan I always got a massage in the Singapore airport. That’s a great way to spend a layover but now I travel with my own personal masseur.
6. Visas for Australia. Important. Can’t get on the plane in LAX without them.
7. The ever-important packing list and packing. This includes deciding which electronics to bring, having adapters for said electronics, the right clothing for the weather and activities and everything else.
8. Contacting T-mobile and making sure our phones will work in Perth. We think international texting and data is included better to be safe than have a ridiculous phone bill after the trip.
9. Discussing expectations, hopes and other ideals. This is difficult for both of us because traveling together internationally is new territory and this is a big life decision. But it’s important to give us both time to express things now so that we can work through it all together while we’re on the ground in Perth.
10. Pray. Pray. Pray. And pray some more. We’re definitely covering every aspect of this trip in prayer. We can’t do it on our own and we don’t want to. We want God to guide us to where and what He wants for us. Praying helps us to find strength in our inadequacies and works to unite our hearts as well.
Now i’m sure there are things i’m forgetting on this list but you get the idea. There is a lot to get done in the next month. But it will get done, even if many things do end up happening at the last minute.